Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Second Day of the Week

Mondays and Fridays and Saturdays and Sundays have such a distinct place in the week.

Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday - they stand out -

But what about Tuesday or Thursday or Wednesday.

Wednesday is significant for it's middle spot.

In college we called it Hump Day.  It was downhill in a good way, after Wednesday.  Coasting toward the weekend.

I like Tuesday.  It still seems new - maybe I didn't change the world on Monday like I thought I would, but there's still plenty of possibility for Tuesday.

And how does Tuesday look today from my perspective?

ONE
I don't have my camera.  We finally took it to Best Buy yesterday with our 3 year warranty contract and receipt for having bought it as recently as October 09.  I just think they should give me a new lens - I think we got a lemon in that lens.  It shouldn't have already messed up in the shutter speed.  My camera will be gone 2 - 3 weeks.  Looks like if I post with pictures, perhaps there might be more downloading of oldie goldies.  More looking into the past.

TWO
Andrew woke at my house this morning.  It was my idea.  Long story - but he wasn't feeling good, Ann and Steve both had different tasks to accomplish at 5:00 when we dropped Ann and Ellie off after the day in Huntsville(they rode with us - Barber guys stayed in Scottsboro - Monday is Steve's Saturday).  I just knew Andrew felt so bum and would need constant holding - so I suggested he go home with us. He did and ended up spending the night.  He's already back asleep by 8:00 - rather feverish with cold in his eyes and a cough.  

THREE
Call from New Orleans - trying to wind down Sarah's checking account here.  She's opened a new one in New Orleans - different bank - and get the panel she's sold, get it off the wall at the Veranda Cafe.  That's a ride into town - (for any city living readers of this blog - a ride into town is maybe 3 minutes.  Big deal just to "get it done")

FOUR
I'm doing just a teensy small thing for Ann who is a 1st and 2nd grade VBS teacher at our church.  It all begins next Sunday evening.  I am making a faux fireplace by drawing the bricks on heavy brown paper which is available to us at the church - someone's gift of large rolls of brown paper - from their workplace.  I did get some paints and markers and sponge brushes, yesterday, to do the thing - plus foam core board to back it.  Also backing a few small items with foam core, for her display on the "fake" mantel.


Which - conjures up memories of earliest VBS days - who went?  who loved it?  I did.  My earliest memory, before any which I attended at my own church - was at the Baptist Church in Evergreen.  I went with my friend, from down the street - Jeannie Knox Livings.  Her name which we called her was a double name - Jeannie Knox.  Her mom was Jean.  I loved it.  I was hooked on VBS - but it was simple stuff then - VBS - My first time to learn the song, "Zaccheus was a wee little man and a wee little man was he - he climbed up in the sycamore tree, for the Lord he wanted to see - for the Lord he wanted to see - and the Lord said, 'Zaccheus, you come down! for I'm going to your house today' - 'for I'm going to your house today' ".  We also glued something on something.  I think cotton onto some picture - and we played outside and we had refreshments.  I loved it.

From then on, it was VBS at my church.  And as a teenager I helped with it.  And as a college student at home during the summer, I helped with that.  I loved it all - but it stopped there for me and I never thought about VBS again - until it showed up again when my girls came of age.  I really had forgotten all about it.  I sent Ann and Laura Beth to Calvary's one summer and after that I couldn't NOT help with it.  My first year to help was the summer after Sarah was born.  I was helping in a room right across from the nursery and I would run across the hall to nurse her quite a bit.  I no longer loved it the way I had in my youth and childhood.  It exhausted me - but over the years I continued to help just due to the sense of responsibility - children still loved it - and mine certainly did. But I loved it less and less.  I was becoming the VBS Scrooge.  Sad.  I recall one summer, helping, and by then Kate was with us and between 2 and 3 years of age  and NOT wanting to be anywhere but with me.  At one point I heard screaming and looked toward the door and one of Kate's teachers was carrying her with Kate's back bowed, trying to calm her down.  I guess Kate had tried to escape and get in my room.  The poor teacher looked exhausted and all I could do was mouth, "I'm sorry".  with a frowny face.
Kate enjoyed VBS as she got older...I think....didn't you, Kate?

So - here we are - and VBS has become quite the production - at least in the Baptist world. Whoa.
I'm just making a mantel for Ann and keeping Andrew next week while everyone does VBS.


FOUR
I don't really have a four - okay - and probably won't knock out huge projects which I've planned - or begin in my late 50's a breathtaking art career which I've been planning since I graduated from Auburn - but it's just Tuesday - and I will get to nurture my little Andrew while he's with me and I just know I'll see my firstborn's face sometime today - my 2nd, 3rd and 4th born are not in town on this day - and with all of that I'll get to laugh with Ellie and Luke, surely, and probably console just a pinch when little bits don't get their way - (wish Ada and John were here)  Plus, with all of that, Charlie comes home every night and we get to spend time together - and enjoy something simple on TV - usually, except I did buy two new novels yesterday which I am so excited about and I just remembered them!  

But with all of that - there's always Wednesday.  As Mother always said, "tomorrow hasn't been touched".  She said with much promise and hope.

1 comment:

Jodie said...

Such wisdom! And I do love VBS, still do!