Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grains

I really, really enjoy whole grains, and, as of this summer, it's official.   My favorite grain used to be Whole Grain Rice, but now my two favorite grains are Wild Rice and Quinoa (pronounced KEEN - wah)

A recipe that I put together this summer is for a soup - basic.

BLACK BEAN and WILD RICE SOUP

Black Beans and Wild Rice, with onion and garlic and celery, if you like celery.

Begin the cooking process for the Wild Rice.  Instructions will be on package, but it's 1 part rice to 2 parts water.  About 1/2 tsp. salt per 1 cup rice.    for a moderate amount of soup, use 1 cup rice and 2 cups water and 1/2 tsp. salt.  Bring Rice, Water, and salt to a boil and reduce heat to low and cover with lid.  Simmer for 50 to 55 minutes.

While Rice is cooking, prepare vegetables.
In a nonstick skillet saute amount of your choosing of the 3 vegetables, chopped and diced.  Use about a tablespoon of olive oil and stir constantly to keep the heat evenly distributed and the oil.  Maybe 1 onion, 3 stalks celery, 2 cloves garlic.

Drain 3 cans fat free organic black beans.

In a large pot, place cooked rice, black beans, prepared veggies, and enough chicken broth or vegetable broth to make the right consistency for soup.  Heat through and it's done.

I LOVE THIS STUFF!  So crunchy, filling, and healthy.  I love it.  Is there someone in the home who just has to have meat?  Add cooked, cut up chicken - or even browned lean beef, and drain any fat off of these.  Love it.


Also, can combine the whole grain rice and the wild rice - try to get organic - and it's a combo rice thing.

I'll do the Quinoa Recipe in next post.  I wish I had my camera and could take pictures of the packages and the prepared soup.  And the raw grains.

Google Quinoa and read how healthy it is for you.  Also, Wild Rice.

No comments: