Thursday, February 25, 2010

VERY RANDOM, MINDLESS, POST

I am home and my brain is blank in terms of writing anything.

I do have a few drafts started - one rather serious - but I hesitate to post it - assuming I might get a thumbs down -

This blog thing -

I am incredibly conservative, play it safe, do the right thing - in other words, a bit dull - so - when Laura Beth was pregnant with Ada, still working as an English Teacher at PebbleBrook High School, the following sentence is what I really did say to her:

"Laura Beth, now that you're going to have a baby, I think you should get off of facebook."  Once everyone stops laughing and gasping I'll continue. 

I'm the last to know what will be a trend.  Quite often I'm looking backwards instead of forwards. 

Her answer to my exhortation was, without getting terribly frustrated with me, "Mom, in my classes I am now teaching my students how to blog".  I had no idea what she was talking about.  Maybe vaguely I had heard of blogging - but I didn't know what she meant and just didn't ask at that moment.

Next thing I know Ann has moved to Scottsboro and Laura Beth has gotten her "on facebook".  And then I hear they're blogging, but I never even remembered to go to their blogs.  I didn't understand it and didn't bother to look into it.  I finally figured out that I could see pictures of Ada, my "out of town" grandchild, if I went to LB's blog regularly.  Then, at some point, Sarah and Kate began to blog.  Ann's posting was sporadic and really, I could see her family in person - the real thing -

and facebook - people my age were beginning to join - and now - I think I am one of the few humans who are not on facebook. 

but I do enjoy posting - writing - and saying things regarding my interests - and it doesn't even matter if anyone is listening or reading.  I can just say it.  and I feel better - but

all along I hear, here and there, that someone is reading my blog.  I'm amazed.  I wonder what it is.  Is it like we're all in a cozy kitchen, sharing a cup of coffee and good conversation - we take turns talking, about nothing, but sometimes about something - a lot of it is ordinary things that make up our daily lives. 

Even today - Sarah had to explain "followers" to me.  So - I think I might do that thing - the follower thing - it doesn't mean what it sounds like - that someone is "following you".  I think I understand that it's mainly for convenience - so that if someone has put up a new post you'll know it and won't have to waste time going to their blog to find out.  It's like the "friend" word on facebook.  People aren't really close friends - maybe hardly acquaintance - maybe never even said words to each other - but they do have access to one another's pages if they are "friends". 

The computer is changing our vocabulary - I don't like that very much either - but I'm on board.  I just went to dictionary.com to see if blog has any other meaning.  it doesn't.  The definition is:

blog (blŏg)

n. A weblog.
intr.v. blogged, blog·ging, blogs
To write entries in, add material to, or maintain a weblog.

Here is what we used to call it - and used pen and paper.
jour·nal   –noun
1.a daily record, as of occurrences, experiences, or observations: She kept a journal during her European trip.

or this:

di·a·ry  [dahy-uh-ree] 

–noun,plural-ries.
1.a daily record, usually private, esp. of the writer's own experiences, observations, feelings, attitudes, etc.
2.a book for keeping such a record.

Anyway - I'm sorry - change can be difficult for me - I'm grateful God made people to move forward - to think waaaayyyy outside the box -  to not hold onto relics and old ideas - but he also made my crowd - my kind of brain - looking back - savoring the past - slowing down just a bit to enjoy details - to sip on what we've learned and did know.

Question:  What is the best way to get these blog posts in hard copy?  I've googled that - found stuff - and then get bogged down - it doesn't work for me.  I think I might need a super duper computer.  Wonder if I'm right.  I'm wanting to preserve my "journal entries" for my grands and great grands.  Somebody down the line is gonna have my genes - those that enjoy looking into the heart of their ancestors and their daily lives.

P.S. Talked with Laura Beth this morning.  As of last night, John isn't sleeping good.  We're hoping it's something she ate.  I bet we don't get a post from Laura Beth today - Scott is home to help her get Ada to the pediatrician for her checkup - so hopefully she can also get a nap with his being at home. Nothing like a new baby to deplete Mom's brain of a few more cells.  It's a sleepy sleepy way of life, for mom - not for baby - not usually.

Okay - one more thing to say - I actually like going to folks' blogs to find out if they've posted - It's that little moment when there's hope for a post - so maybe I won't do the follower thing - or maybe I will - I don't know.

1 comment:

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

Elizabeth..I took my first years worth of blogs and made them into a hardback book. It is WONDERFUL..it sits in my library and home and is called "A Moment in the Life of a Hill" by: Brooke Hill

I will look and find the name of the company that made it..it is the best way to preserve them!