Monday, November 29, 2010

I Don't Do Christmas Ahead of Time

I don't. 
I want to do Thanksgiving, thoroughly.
One year I tried to shop for Christmas early, and I did - but I ended up spending more money than I should because I still shopped even more during the season - so I just always start shopping after Thanksgiving. and usually I'm late on that also - especially since I no longer have to play Santa Claus.

So - I said all of that to say this....

I'm behind on the real meaning of Christmas.  

Which brings me to this and I want you to remember.

Yesterday was the first Sunday in Advent.

It begins the season when we celebrate that Christ came into the world, that if we have believed in Him and trusted Him as Lord and Savior, then He has come into us, and that He will come again.

It's a Holy Season - It's Christmas.  The word was originally Christ's Mass - which refers to the celebration of the Lord's Supper.

so I looked up Mass in reference to the church - 

Mass comes from the latin word, "missa" (dismissal)

The word dismissal suggests a mission.

It's about carrying on Jesus' mission.

so - Christmas, Christ's mass, would be Christ's mission.

He came into the world to redeem us - save us - deliver us - make us clean and clothe us in His righteousness.  Therein, we have hope and joy - and so much to celebrate.

No comments: