Sunday, January 23, 2011

He Leads Me

A hymn came to mind last night and I couldn't quit singing it.  I haven't sung it nor heard in what seems like a long time - I like it.  I used to really enjoy singing it in church - growing up.

But first, I'm going to define some seldom used words which are in it.

Fraught - Filled or Laden (with); Full of
Bower - a leafy shelter or recess; arbor
Repine - to be fretful or low spirited through discontent

This hymn was inspired by Psalm 23 and it was written in March 1862, during the darkest hour of the Civil War.

He Leadeth Me

He leadeth me, O blessed thought!

O words with heav'nly comfort fraught.

Whate're I do where're I be,

Still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.

Refrain

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,

By His own hand He leadeth me;

His faithful follower I would be

For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes mid scenes of deepeth gloom,

Sometimes where Eden's bower's bloom,

By waters still, O'er troubled sea,

Still 'tis His hand that leadeth me.

Refrain

Lord, I would place my hand in thine,

Nor ever murmur nor repine,

Content whatever lot I see,

Since 'tis my God that leadeth me.

Refrain

And when my task on earth is done,

When by thy grace the vict'ry's won,

E'en death's cold wave I will not flee,

Since God through Jordon leadeth me.

1 comment:

Kate Rhodes said...

good, good, good hymn.