Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Have I Ever Mentioned.....

That I LOVE Hummus?
I do.  A Favorite Food.
but I hate paying so much for that little bitty bit which is sold in grocery stores.


I mean, hummus is just smushed up beans with the right add ins to flavor it.  And so good and the texture and with blue chips or pita chips....hmmmmm.

So, I happen to have a super duper food processor. I am so glad to have it.
I would like to have  a super duper blender and a super duper mixer.
Those things are expensive!

Anyway, I make my own hummus.
and I did today and I made a mess.
and I don't enjoy making a mess - while I cook.  I clean as I go but when I make hummus - it gets away from me - the mess.  Take a look...
It's on this counter


and across the room


and in the middle right next to my computer
where I am getting my recipe.


I had to use both bowls of the food processor


and I'm saving this to eat with chips 
the way some people lick the beaters when making
chocolate icing or cake batter or cookie dough


Luke loved it.



I cooked my garbanzo beans yesterday
and had to add some black beans today 
when I got the hummus too salty.


I even roasted the garlic 
and yum, it smelled so good in the oven, roasting.




Oh - and today is Ann's birthday.
30 years ago she was born on a Sunday morning.
As a matter of fact, I think she was born at 2:00 pm - no - 1:58!
and I woke to the sound of,
"Wake up Mrs. Rhodes, you have a girl."
I'd had a C-Section, and I opened my eyes and saw the clock on the wall and it said 3:00 pm.
and I was so indescribably happy over those words - you have a girl - and I remembered all that had transpired and I was very happy and imagined that it must feel similar, waking up in heaven.


Ann's gift - and while I was making hummus and keeping Ellie, Andrew, and Luke,
Ann was in Rainsville getting her hair cut.

I gave her two mixing bowls, large and medium, from Wal-Mart, with a little cash in them,
because recently I was in her kitchen and realized she doesn't own a basic good large mixing bowl, nor a medium mixing bowl.  It's very unsuitable to me what she's been using - so I determined then to get her these for her birthday.

Hummus Recipe

5 cloves of garlic
2 cups cooked chick peas (or one can)
1 tsp. seasalt
1/3 cup of tahini (sesame seed paste)
3 lemons freshly squeezed
1 T olive oil (best quality)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or chipotle pepper

Blend all of this in food processor until smooth

That's the recipe, but I had more chick peas than that - and I didn't have fresh cilantro which would be so much better than the dried.  I love fresh cilantro.  I didn't use the red pepper and only sprinkled a little coarse ground pepper.  I did roast my garlic.  I also made my own tahini paste because I have in my refrig a good sized bag of sesame seeds which I ordered off the internet.  They must be stored in the refrigerator.
Right now they are $6.99 for 2 lbs.  That's the sale price.  They're usually $8.99 for 2 lbs.  It's Homegrown Harvest located in Kennesaw, GA.

And this is what I've done today on this chilly and wet and gray February day - but I don't mind.
the wet and gray and chill - I mean - because it's only for just little while longer.
Winter really isn't so long - when you think about it.

A year ago Laura Beth would have only a week to go before John would be born on February 8, 2010.
2 years ago Ann would be giving birth to Andrew tomorrow on February 2, 2009.
I'm glad Ann's baby is due in June.  A very very pleasant month in terms of climate and temperature.

No comments: