Saturday, December 20, 2008

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel and ransom captive humanity(Israel)

Today is Saturday.

My goal is not to stress over Christmas. I refuse to stress over Christmas. I'll admit a few panicky feelings on Wednesday night as I lay in bed, eyes wide opened, and realized that I had not done any adult Christmas Shopping. I had bought for the grandchildren, which is the most important thing - and all the adults in our family now draw names - but we do a little Santa Claus for our 2 adult children who are still in our care, sort of. Charlie and I don't really do gifts at this stage. I think we will again, maybe - it doesn't really matter. We have everything we need, and too much - it's just fun to exchange gifts - isn't it? It's fun. Oh well -

Yesterday Charlie, myself, Sarah and Kate went to Huntsville, Christmas Shopped, saw our dear friends, Danny and Corny Rose, in Williams Sonoma(it was planned, sort of) laughed, cried, took pictures (in Williams sonoma - Corny's idea - I asked her if she had been tested for ADD - she was medicine to my soul - she said why bother - she was all over that store)

Charlie, Sarah, Kate and I finished our shopping at Bridge Street in H'ville and then went to a movie - Australia - Oh My Goodness!!!! I don't cry at age 57, not much. I do, but not much. It's just not worth it anymore to cry unless the situation really calls for it. I cried twice in that movie, as in my face crumbled. Wow. Kate's face was a mess when we came out. She's 20. She had to go in the restroom and wipe it down - she had sobbed.

Today - I got to Wal-Mart early to beat the crowd - had a few "Wal-Mart Gifts" to pick up. I'm done. I've finished my shopping!!!!! Yay.

Tonight Charlie and I are going with Mike and Mary Bratton to a matinee(4 Christmases) and then to dinner - a Korean Restaurant. Mike and Mary and Charlie and I go so way back it's insane. WE have all this Scottsboro history and Children history and Church history - we've seen each other at our worst and best. We know all of each other's secrets - well - the majority of them - We're together on the raft - floating into shore - WE've lived through all the stuff in our adult Scottsboro lives. But that sounds rather dismal. We laugh at each other mostly. It's rather therapeutic to get with ourselves and laugh at ourselves.

Okay - so that is where the days have taken me since my last post - but here is what I want to type at least once in this Christmas Season.

FIRST:
The people walking in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned. Isaiah 9:2
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders.
and He will be called Wonder Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and FOREVER.
The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this Isaiah 9: 6-7
SECOND:
(that baby whom we celebrate this season - as an adult this is that same child)
He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we shoud desire Him.
He was despised and reject by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
Like one from whom men hide their faces He was despised, and we esteemed Him not.
Surely He took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered Him stricken by God, smitten by Him, and afflicted.
But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53: 1-6
That's it. That's Christmas!
REJOICE!! REJOICE!!
O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, Thou Rod of Jesse,
free Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, Thou Day-Spring,
come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes, on Sinai's height,
In ancient times did'st give the Law,
In cloud, and majesty and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

1 comment:

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

You have an award..go pick it up on my page.