Monday, July 5, 2010

Again, Have to Get to a New Post.

It's Monday.

I've been trying to think of the best way


TO

recommend this book.

A way that would peak one's interest.

Title:

Counterfeit Gods by Tim Keller.

Are you a believer?  In Jesus Christ?

and     Do you ever think about having idols?  gods?  in your heart?


I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

You shall have no other gods before me.    Exodus chapter twenty. verses two and three.


I - Elizabeth - have actually been considering this for some time  - a few years, now.

Before God revealed more of this truth to me, to where I am now,

in studying the Old Testament,  I knew that living in this culture,  in this United States,

as a people, we are all wading through gods and idols of things and wealth and stuff, of acquiring and having and wanting - of comfortable and ease and clean and sanitized.  

Then I had a conversation with my cousin, John - who is now in heaven.  He talked about identifying his personal idols.  He named what he said were his two conflicting idols.  John went to heaven in 2004 - so, it's been more than 6 years in which I've been considering and praying about all of this.  

It was in that conversaton that I considered my personal idols.  The ones that I held in the inner sanctum.  The ones that, taken from me, I would come unglued.

You shall have no other gods before me.

If you're reading this - what is it that causes you despair?  Real despair.  What causes you to, as I said before, come unglued - go nuts - panic - fear - do crazy things - irrational behavior - I can't live like this - I'll die if I lose this thing or this situation or this concept or idea or

what are your own personal idols - the ones you've brought into your heart - the "lower case" gods?

You shall have no other gods before me.


Let me say that I'm the type, or I used to be, to come unglued under certain circumstances.  My cousin John, the one I mentioned, was not that type.  Calm.  Collected.  Low Key.  By Nature.  If your personality, like his,  doesn't lend itself to being "reactive", like mine,  still - in your heart - there are those prevailing things which war with Christ's being the Lord your God, who brought you out of slavery - if indeed He's brought you out of slavery.

Still, He says,

You shall have no other gods before me.


Do you?

This book is so good and says it so clearly.  I want to read it again.

Counterfeit Gods by Tim Keller

No comments: