Thursday, October 16, 2008

What I Like to Remember about October, Cont'd.

My first grade memory of halloween is a bit vague. What I visualize is being in the classroom. (I suppose the Halloween Parade was an ongoing event. I only remember the parade when I was in the 3rd grade, but that will be posted later - and why I remember that one.) I was a cowgirl. Mom had suggested it. I know that. Halloween and costumes were new to me, I think. Or just being old enough to really think about it. I don't remember relating this year, 1957, to the previous year, 1956, with my cousins -Anyway, I agreed to the cowgirl costume. I liked playing cowgirls with my little boy friends who were, of course, cowboys. I was usually Dale Evans - and sometimes Annie Oakley.


Back to what I visualize or see in my recollections: I'm in the cowgirl costume which Mother had put together - red hat, vest, guns, red bandana, ... but Jeans!!! It should have been a skirt. That's where we messed up - because I'm standing there feeling like I look like a boy - which was very disappointing to me - and one of my friends walked in as a PRINCESS. I just remember the feeling of "WHY DIDN'T I THINK ABOUT THAT - BEING A PRINCESS??" Her dress was made of pink netting and I can still see her face and her enjoying the unanimous approval ratings in her favor. My hat was off to her. In my childlike way, I took complete responsibility for my choices - I had a sense of knowing to never again give up my "voice" in selecting a Halloween costume. This is vague but I think there was a parade that year. The band led the parade and all the kids marched 2 by 2.

I think Jeannie(the princess) and I were partners. We were really good friends.

It's been a long time since any diary entries.

So, I'm jumping from that 1st grade experience regarding Halloween
all the way up to 6th grade diary entries.
In 6th grade I was getting a little too old for Halloween, and the entries are starting to really thin out as I'm losing interest in regularly writing in my diary.

The last entry I posted was September 23.

Monday September 24, 1962: Dear Diary, I didn't have much homework today.
Tuesday September 25, 1962: Dear Diary, I went to play with Ellen Nix today.
Wednesday September 26, 1962: Dear Diary, it rained hard today. I'm glad.
Thursday September 27, 1962: Dear Diary, Today I saw Barbie & Ken's sports car. (They are dolls)
Friday September 28, 1962: Dear Diary, went to ballgame. Ate with Susan and Bert.
Saturday September 29, 1962: No Entry
Sunday September 30, 1962: No Entry
Monday October 1, 1962: No Entry
Tuesday October 2, 1962: No Entry
Wednesday October 3, 1962: No Entry
Thursday October 4, 1962: No Entry
Friday October 5, 1962: Dear Diary, Rode on the Band Bus to the football game.
Saturday October 6, 1962: No Entry
Sunday October 7, 1962: Dear Diary, Ate with Ella and Elbert.
Monday October 8, 1962: Dear Diary, At about 3:00 Grandmother died. Not Ella.
Tuesday October 9, 1962: Dear Diary, went to Grandmother's funeral. Lots of flowers.
Wednesday October 10, 1962: Dear Diary, Mother came home from Troy. Daddy too. Me and Mary Ann have been staying with Ella.
Thursday October 11, 1962: Dear Diary, Made a cake today.
Friday October 12, 1962: Dear Diary, 4-H Bake Sale today.
Saturday October 13, 1962: Dear Diary, we spent the night with Halbert.
Sunday October 14, 1962: Dear Diary, went to Sunday School in Troy.
Monday October 15, 1962: Dear Diary, It was so hot today.
Tuesday October 16, 1962: No Entry
Wednesday October 17- Saturday October 20, 1962: No Entries
Sunday October 21, 1962: Dear Diary, today is Elbert's birthday.
Monday October 22, 1962: Dear Diary, played with Jane & Jeannie Knox.
Tuesday October 23, 1962: No Entry
Wednesday October 24, 1962: Dear Diary, I got my pictures today at school. They are good.
Thursday October 25, 1962: No Entry
Friday October 26, 1962: No Entry
Saturday October 27, 1962: Dear Diary, played with Jeannie Knox & Jane
Sunday October 28, 1962: Dear Diary, Went to S.S. & Church. Then Marilyn Mason came to play with me.
Monday October 29, 1962: Dear Diary, Today is school again. Didn't have much homework.
Tuesday October 30, 1962: No Entry
Wednesday October 31, 1962: Dear Diary, We had a Halloween Carnival tonight. I wore a FLAPPER.












These are very blurry - but wanted to give a visual perspective.
1. The first one is Mary Ann in the first grade, 1955-56. She was 6, which made me 4. It was the next year which I wrote about above - when we were staying at Ella's during Halloween.
2. The second one is me in the first grade. I remember being very excited about having my first school picture made. I don't look very excited. There is a story to that pose, but it would have to be told in another post. This is the year I was the cowgirl for Halloween.
3. The third picture is my second grade picture. Just giving an overall look. Incidentally, Mom made my dresses, and I'm sure she made Mary Ann's.
4. This fourth picture is Jane White's 5th grade picture. She is mentioned a lot in my diary. She was my best friend and lived on Williams Street, as I did.
I had other pictures I tried to get - but my camera was doing weird. I had one of Jeannie B., Marilyn Mason, Jeannie Knox, well - most of the friends I've mentioned - but perhaps another day. Photos just make for good illustration. I like photos.







No comments: