Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Best October Memory

Here we are nearing the end of October. Doesn't time go by so quickly? This is the part of October when I want to beg for more. I'm not ready for it to end. I haven't gotten nearly enough done during my energized, creative month. I'm going to get lost in the rush and fading of November. I haven't posted all my October memories!

I know one year when I was glad to see the end of October. It was 1979. My wedding date was set for October 27th. The days couldn't go by fast enough for me. We were married on Saturday, so this is my anniversary weekend. But this year it falls on Monday - Question: Is today the anniversary, since it's Saturday, or is Monday. I think both.

That weekend was so exciting!! I left B'ham, where I was working, and traveled to Evergreen on Thursday, October 25th.

The engagement period had been very brief. Charlie proposed sometime in May or June - I forget - and the wedding was in October. Things weren't nearly as elaborate back then. I know Mom and I had one tense discussion over the phone, long distance, which cleared the air about expenses. She was so nervous about that. I remember her saying that all of her friends had told her that no matter what one did, there was no way to do a wedding for less than $1000.00! Imagine that! She had resigned herself to that amount. I remember that my dress cost $400.00 and it was on sale. That was rather costly back then for a dress - so I think we went over budget on that one.

Anyway, I traveled to Evergreen on Thursday. Mom had not opened any of the gifts for me which had accumulated at Boykin's jewelry store and the local hardware store. In 1979, most hardware stores had a "fine gifts" department. Small town, small businesses, family owned. I arrived in Evergreen, and Mother had a small "party" of family to watch me open my gifts. It was so much fun. I had had 3 parties given by friends in B'ham - but the parties in Evergreen were zero. 28 was rather "old", in 1979, to be getting married. I suppose everyone assumed I'd moved on to my new life. Anyway, arriving in Evergreen on Thursday the 25th was wonderful and I do remember that ride. The weather was beautiful - all the dynamics of my life were in place and I was soaring.

So - I opened my gifts - they were all towering in Mother's dining room. I think Mary Ann was there. She was working in Montgomery - so I can't remember if she was able to take Thursday off. Seems like she did. Back then, folks still gave sterling silver flatware. I was delighted each time I opened the long, thin box. Charlie's parents had given us 2 place settings of our Gorham Chantilly Sterling Silver. My hands were shaking when I opened that gift. I could tell by the shape of the box, what it was. My Uncle Halbert, in turn, gave us a place setting of Chantilly, plus he gave me Grandmother's dessert forks which were in the Chantilly pattern. My grandmother, Ella, gave me some of her pieces of Chantilly. I loved all of that. I had registered only for fine china and the sterling. I knew folks, in 1979, would gift me with the everyday stuff if I registered for it - so I wanted to only register for the fine china - I could see ahead and knew that life would get daily and get very practical. I could always get everyday dinnerware for myself and everyday flatware for myself. When are the elegant things ever a priority? So, the party was so much fun. Again, if I had a scanner, I'd show pictures.

Charlie arrived in Evergreen on Friday. So did other members of the Northcutt family who had moved away. My closest cousin, Rachel, was due any minute with her first child. She was living in Mississippi. She couldn't even be at the wedding. Joel Ward McAllister was born on November 6, 1979. The rehearsal dinner was that evening at a local banquet spot - it's Evergreen - Charlie's parents had a wonderful dinner for us. On Saturday all my aunts hosted a luncheon for the "Out of town guests".I didn't attend that luncheon. I was the bride, therefore, had to be at home preparing for my wedding - at 2:00 p.m. The morning of the 27th when I woke up - I thought, "It's my wedding day!" I went into the dining area where Mother had displayed all my gifts-(a custom which has faded - people would even come by to see 'the displayed gifts') I picked up the one cereal bowl which I had been given - in my Lenox China - and a coffee cup and saucer - and I ate breakfast using my fine china.

Wewere married at 2:00 pm on October 27, 1979. We honeymooned at Lake Guntersville State Park - which has been a joke to everyone for all these many years. No joke to us. We loved it - It was beautiful and delightful. And easy.

As Charlie and I traveled back to Birmingham where he and I both were working, we realized that the color of the leaves had reached their peak. We've learned that. All of the past 28 years it holds true here in North Alabama. The color is at its best at the very end of October. We are now completing our 29th year of marriage. Wow. Compared to 50 years we're practically newlyweds.


Happy Anniversary to Charlie and Elizabeth!!!

2 comments:

LB said...

Happy Anniversary!! Of course I didn't say anything when I was on the phone with you earlier:) I'm not very good at remembering dates.

rhodes1 said...

happy anniversary! I loved reading about your wedding day!