Tuesday, October 28, 2008


4 More Days Until Halloween,
or
Until End of October - Same Thing.

Sunday afternoon Charlie and I went to Huntsville to see a matinee and then walked an hour around the Bridge Street Town Centre. Following our walk, we went to a second movie. This was all to celebrate our anniversary. We had planned to eat out, but we love popcorn at the movie, so that was our meal, along with two movies instead of one. We went to the Monaco Theatre. The first movie we saw was SECRET LIFE of BEES. I've read the book and was anxious to see the movie. Both the movie and the book are so good - a great read and an entertaining movie. Good acting. Jennifer Hudson, Dakota Fanning, Queen Latisha (correction - it's Queen Latifah {:-)})and the musician whose name I can't remember. I don't know the other names, but it was good. The second movie we saw upstairs in the Prive - Charlie and I didn't know what to expect "upstairs" and we laugh at ourselves in those situations. We aren't "cool" nor are we "sophisticated". We are not "street smart" in a wealthy adult sense of the word. We don't get out a whole lot, by choice and by economics. So we laugh at ourselves. We are somewhat clumsy in those situations - we have to ask a lot of questions - Upstairs wasn't that much better than downstairs. But it was nice and the seats are VERY VERY comfortable. The popcorn tasted better than usual - maybe it was my imagination. So... we saw DUCHESS with Kiera Knightly. It was good - but very sad to me. Such a troubled marriage and impossible love and the tension of a mother's heart - there were 3 painful emotions acted out very well - It was based on a true story which I knew nothing about - so I googled it all the next day. Interesting.


Found this picture of Bridge Street - gives one an idea of the area



Another picture I found online - Bridge Street at night - at Christmas. Anyway, it gives an idea.

Back to our walk around Bridge Street - the temperature was very pleasant - not too cold. There was an older man playing a guitar and singing Blues very well. He was so good. Charlie and I sat on a bench for a little bit to listen. Not many people sat to listen. He should have had a large audience. Around him in on the "plaza"? or "walkway"? were strewn hoola hoops. They were not his - but I suppose it was an activity for whomever. NO - I didn't hoola hoop - but there were a few children who were doing that. I really really had the urge to pick one up and try it. What it reminded me of was more October memories -



This is how we all looked. We did this very hard, very fast, with a determination to keep it up. I found this picture online also - I googled Hoola Hoop Rage in the Fifties - All kinds of articles came up.
So - I'm a kid - and in those days the PTA had fundraisers which included a Halloween Carnival at the Evergreen City School. I don't know what year this started, nor do I remember when it ended. If Mother was alive and could write or post on a blog - she would probably just spell out loud groans. I've heard her recall all the very hard work it involved, and the event was so much helter skelter - usually hot - not cold on Halloween or whatever night it was scheduled. Not to mention that the mother's children STILL wanted to go Trick or Treating. There were usually events in the auditorium which involved some sort of performance - a school play - maybe speeches - I'm not sure - I know there were drawings and give-a-ways. I won a rake, once, from one of our Hardware stores. Only thing I've ever won. I was so excited. Daddy walked me up to get it. I loved winning that - anything. Anyway, every classroom was "something". Like a cakewalk, a go fishing booth, a haunted house - fortune telling - other games to pay to win something - or activities to pay to participate in - And kids and parents running around everywhere - like a swarm of bees.
Back to the hoola hoop. I remember the Hoola Hoop contest we had on the lawn in front of the school. I tried that. Gave my things to Daddy to hold, while I walked up to compete. I was sure I could win!!! But I didn't. I can still see the night, Daddy standing there, patiently waiting - and my confidence to take home the prize. So confused when I didn't. Didn't see that coming.
It's funny how in so many of my memories Daddy is standing to the side - patient, enduring - walking through these "little girl" events - taking me by the hand, walking me away -
My image of Mom in those Carnival memories is that she looked tired and somewhat stressed. They always had food down in the lunchroom. The lunchroom in the City School was down a long flight of very wide stairs. Bottom of the stairs, take a left, through double doors, and you're in the low ceilinged lunchroom. I hated those smells all those six years. Lunch was never good to me. Anyway, at the carnival, that's where we went to buy food - and I'm thinking hot dogs. I saw Mother in the back serving food - and that's my image of her looking very busy and very tired. I really couldn't talk to her because she was working so hard.
Later years she and I would recall those days and get so tickled about all the stress for her compared to how the kids were so excited about it all - and the trick or treating. Had to do that. We loved it. And then the battle of the candy.
When I was a Mom of small children, we did all of that. At Caldwell - we had carnivals - I wasn't as much of a player in the event as Mom had been. I had 4 children and Sarah and Kate were babies when Ann and Laura Beth were in elementary - I don't know - I just know that I was free to walk them around the school - Charlie actually was a worker one year. He was in the dunking booth. Sarah and Kate were sooooo upset when they saw him go in the water. I had to get them out of there.
I see so much other stuff in my head, but I think I want to wind down the Halloween memories.
There was one year, in the Fifth Grade, I had to be a scarecrow in a play at the carnival.
I'll say this - it was a costume put together just like all my other costumes. There was no going to Wal-Mart and buying a costume. I've already told you about the first year when I was a cowboy. Another year I was a Gypsy. Those were easy to make. Mom's jewelry, scarves, long skirts, makeup. Ghosts were a cinch. Put an old sheet over the child - cut holes for the eyes and mouth - and there's a ghost. I never got to be that princess, like my friend in the first grade. I really don't remember all the characters I was. I think I was probably a witch one year. Those were the fifties - and we just never saw that as a real spiritual problem - being "stuff" like that. It was all about convenience and what we had around the house. I certainly didn't think it conflicted with God, who was ever present there. Even though I wasn't a true believer yet, He seemed all around me. He dominated in my life, big time.
Anyway, it all got complicated later when we began to analyze all that stuff - and raising kids - Halloween or Santa Claus? Safe Alternatives? Call it Harvest Fest - but it still feels like Halloween. We live in small town Alabama - and know the folks where our children trick or treat. Who lets their small children go to dangerous places? Anyway -
Our Culture certainly evolves, doesn't it?
Halloween/October Memories.
Welcome November.

2 comments:

LB said...

hey, I haven't even finished reading this because I had to comment and say that it's Queen Latifah, not Latisha. It made me really wish I was there, and you had said that in person. Think how tickled we would all be (all the sisters and you) as we corrected you after you said Latisha. So...it's Latifah:)

Anonymous said...

i just laughed out loud! mom, the morning and evening i quoted was october 26th morning. yes, morning and evening often gets me through the day. spurgeon was a gifted man! i know, often i go for a long time without writing and then will write like 3 posts in the span of 2 days. i'm weird like that.