Sunday, November 2, 2008

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 2, 2008


It's been a week since I've written in my blog.

Ellie on Friday night before we went Trick or Treating.

Luke, Train Conductor

Luke and Ellie

Again.


After Trick or Treating. Ann helping with the candy.

Ellie beginning to enjoy the Candy.

Luke loving his candy.

It was a great Halloween Night. One of the best ones I've enjoyed, ever - including all my childhood memories - thanks to the neighbors on our street. They really had the community spirit. At most houses, 2 adults were sitting in front of their door ready to hand out candy - or an older child or teenager - and the houses were decorated very creatively. There were so many people and cars bumper to bumper, but moving at a snail's pace. Charlie, Ann, and I walked with Ellie and Luke while Steve drove the car, following us down the very long street. Steve has such a funny, hilarious sense of humor and he had me so tickled about everything. Ellie and Luke have not been exposed to really scary characters - so at some houses they had to get past some scary stuff to get the candy. We didn't know if it was worth it to them - we said over and over, "It's just pretend, it's not real!". I bet we said that a thousand times. At one house we walked up and there was a strobe light/black light situation going on. Ann, Charlie and I were trying to communicate - Ellie and Luke were freaking out - and the visual effects were really weird - BUT we got the candy and got the Heck out of there. :-) It was all funny and fun.

Before we went T or T'ing - I had made Taco/Santa Fe Soup(as had everyone else in Scottsboro, judging by the congestion on the bean aisle at Wal-Mart that morning. We needed a State Trooper to direct traffic.) We ate dinner and then went out.

Following the outing - We all came back to the house - ate Candy - Ellie wanted to spend the night - she did. Steve took Luke home - and Ann ended up staying with us also - so she could retrieve Ellie first thing in the morning.

On Saturday, Charlie was into Auburn Football, Steve was into Georgia Football - so Ann and I drove, with the kids, to Huntsville - to window shop - we had no money to spend. We did spend a little - but it was beautiful drive and beautiful day - and we took it slow and Ellie and Luke seemed to enjoy it.

Today, Sunday, after church, again, Ann, Steve, Luke and Ellie and myself drove to G'ville State Park, the Lodge Restaurant - to eat lunch. Charlie had to prepare for trials and couldn't take the time. Leaves are gorgeous - too beautiful for words - my tree which I've shown on my blog is still not turned. There is a hint of turning. Mine are always slow. I don't know why. I'll take pictures this week and post them to update progress.

Ellie and Luke after lunch. There was a playground. Luke is still wearing his conductor's hat. He wore it all day, following church.

That's all. There's a lot on my mind this week. The church - the body of Christ. Praying for God to convict believers - to bring mature believers and believing church leaders to repentance - to not let us be lukewarm - to not let us be complacent - to not bow the knee to our idols - to not listen to the world but to be true true true salt and light in the world. That we would go before God who lives in and through us and trust Him for truth.

Our country is on my mind. Our culture is perverted and denying God and there are idols on every corner. We kill unborn babies and disrespect the aging adults. We overspend to acquire stuff and encourage the overspending. Churches deny the power of God's word, and the truth of God's word - and neglect the destitute. Churches have bought into the message of the world, rather than the opposite.

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Luke 5: 13-16

That hasn't happened in the United States. Our culture, more than ever before, is filled with mega churches, with programs and gimmicks and techniques and systems to "grow a church and make it big". Marketing schemes have been applied to any church or leader who will buy into it. But Christianity isn't salting our culture. It isn't lighting up our world. We're killing babies and condoning immorality and greed.

My prayer is for God's wisdom, for the leaders in our churches to have broken, yielded hearts...to love God's word. I pray for the Holy Spirit to move in the hearts of men, drawing them to Himself.

In our church we're studying Colossians. Paul wrote in the first chapter, verse 9:

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being stengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.

Paul wrote this from prison - he was being persecuted for his faith.

It would seem possible that our country is headed into a time when our faith in God, through Christ, will no longer be tolerated. I pray that isn't so. If it is, lukewarm faith will no longer cut it. It never has, really - Christ spoke of it in Revelations. He said,

"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich: I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline, so be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on His throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." Revelations 3:14-22

I've told God many many times - show me my sin - bring me to repentance - break my heart - reveal to me my idols - empower me to let go - I want Him to be God of my heart and life. I do not want to be lukewarm. It's so hard to tell, in a lukewarm world - but now it's a cold world to the things of God - Lukewarm believers won't survive it. He has to be Lord of our lives - Lord of everything.

No comments: