Friday, November 14, 2008

Charlie Took Friday Off

The pictures below are what yardwork looks like to me - at my house - and it reminds me of Mother and Daddy - working in the yard. Mother made beautiful Nandina arrangements and placed them in the living room of our house on Williams Street.

Today in Scottsboro, it was damp and chilly - although after a bit of work I had to shed my light jacket and work in short sleeves.

Charlie took today off so that he could get some things done in the yard. We are heading into the holiday season - when his mom comes for Thanksgiving, and Mary Ann, and Scott, Laura Beth and Ada. It's nice to spruce things up a bit. It is a visual time - where the senses are especially touched - smells and hearing as well. The pictures below illustrate what we did. Pruned dead branches and leaves - pulled up excess growth - raked a bit - swept - and there is still more to do tomorrow.

I like these and the way they look.
Yardwork.


small pieces of nandina in my empty vanilla extract bottle

The Sugar Maple looking through my front hall window.

Daddy made this stool. I sit on it to do yard work.


Nandinas and a passing school bus.



Ready to make an indoor arrangement.



My Rabbit Planter




November Yard




My Pruned Nandinas



The most golden it will be - November 14



Where I placed my pruning shears



Charlie working
That's all. Just Pictures. It's November. This blog is about writing what I like to remember. Today is about what I like to remember. November is a very nostalgic month. People are going inside, gathering together. I think of Mother and Daddy. We're looking up at the pecan trees on Williams Street. Mother always told me I could have the money I received for all the pecans I gathered. One grocery bag brought 3.00. We could stay on our knees and not move very much and almost fill up a bag. This was always in late November. It would be my Christmas money, for gifts. And the cracking of the pecans. 2 pecans in my fist, using my left hand to squeeze my right - and the pecan cracked. Such good pecan meat - Stewarts' Pecans. We had 8 pecan trees in our yard. I still chafe at having to pay for pecans. Well, that's all.
Tomorrow Charlie and I will get done what we didn't get done today.

1 comment:

Hollen said...

I love those pictures! :) See, I recently took up photography and I always love to see other people's pictures! :) I liked the one of the sugar maple a lot. Your blog has such and enchanting feel to it when one reads it! Really! :)
Hollen