Friday, October 10, 2008

So Here Is What I've Been Doing



These are my three pumpkins

Green

White

Hydrangeas in the Fall

Mother's Singer - I can see her sitting there with her foot on the pedal. This is the second one she owned. The first had a wood grain table like this, but the machine was black with gold lettering. It, too, was a Singer. I wish I had a really really nice Cadillac of a sewing machine. I bet it would practically do the sewing for me. That would be nice.

My collection of thread - Ella's sewing Box - I remember her at a sewing machine which was not electric - the foot pedal had to be done with Ella's own personal energy. She had it - the energy. Same feet I can hear tapping the floor in a rhythm when she rocked me - I was in her lap and she was singing "Polly Wolly Doodle All the Day". She was really short, and her feet would come off the floor, then back on, back off, back on, off, on, etc.

This is going to be a Christmas Apron. I love aprons! I also like to cut out the patterns. I really like the sound of the thin pattern paper. It crinkles. I also like the way the fabric and the paper feel pinned together - the weight of it. That's crazy - or maybe not. I bet other ladies like that. I like the pins. I like the tape measure hanging around on surfaces - table tops - I just like all of that. I loved hanging around mom when she was sewing. I did my own little handsewing but nothing ever really good - just messing with it. Too bad. I just always let Mother do all the sewing

My first handsewn apron.

It looks like a dress, doesn't it?

Excuse me. I just remembered! This is not my first apron. I was in the Fifth Grade - involved in 4-H and I did make an apron! I remember now. I have a picture but don't know where it is. Wish I had the picture and a scanner.

I am now going to return to my sewing. That's all. Just pictures today.


3 comments:

Kate Rhodes said...

mom, i like it very, very much. i want you to make me some place mats like ann's and maybe an apron would be nice to.

Elizabeth said...

You got it, hon!

I'll start on those when I get back from McDonough. Request for colors? Or do you mean exactly like Ann's? And the apron?

Mary Ann said...

liz,
I love the apron. I'm having to swallow down jealousy and anxiousness, but I love the apron, and I would love a Christmas apron if you have the time. I will pay for the material.

I would have come to Scottsboro even if Ellie and Luke weren't there. I loved being with the rest of you. You know that my four nieces are my "heart". Ellie and Luke are just the icing on the cake - precious, adorable icing on the cake.

Bye.