Friday, October 17, 2008

TWO WONDERS I CONFESS: The wonders of His glorious love and my unworthiness.

Stepping aside from my October Memories -
although this recollection could easily have occurred in October.
You'll see.


I was going to my daughters' blogs - each of them - which is how I ended up blogging in the first place, this summer. It's a way for me to get in on their conversations and thoughts - so I blog. I was at Kate's blog; there was no new post & I glanced to the right and saw her list of websites - RUF Hymnal - I went there - I explored that and ended up on the words of Beneath the Cross of Jesus. I love Hymns - the words alone - but the music also - I'll have to say that the RUF folks mix up the notes a bit and get away from the original tune. I prefer the classic tune, melody, chords, composition - whatever. I like the familiar - what I know, and the music is already beautiful - the majority of it. I read the words to this hymn, I hear the music, and I'm in that place again. The Evergreen First United Methodist Church. Those dark mahogany pews, the rich wood throughout the sanctuary, the stained glass windows, our small yet gifted choir; Daddy is always the choir director whom I see. Mary is always at the organ. Mother is sitting close by. My aunts, uncles and cousins and Mary Ann are there and all the familiar faces throughout the years. I suppose I'm every age, in this memory - because I've been there at every age. Then, I didn't embrace all the reality of the words, but I do now, and have for some time. When I was a child I was just glad to be singing instead of "sitting through the sermon". I liked the peppier tunes, and this one was somewhat slow. Thankfully it was sung repeatedly and became so familiar. I am grateful for the exposure to these words when I didn't even know HIM whose death on the cross redeemed me - and now I do.


Beneath the cross of Jesus
I fain would take my stand,
The shadow of a mighty rock within a weary land;
A home within the wilderness,
a rest upon the way,
from the burning of the noontide heat,
and the burden of the day.


Upon that cross of Jesus,
my eyes at times can see
The very dying form of One who suffered there for me;
And from my smitten heart with tears
two wonders I confess
The wonders of His glorious love
and my unworthiness.

I take, O cross, thy shadow
for my abiding place:
I ask no other sunshine than the sunshine of His face,
Content to let the world go by,
to know no gain or loss.
My sinful self, my only shame;
my glory all the cross.





3 comments:

Stephanie said...

What beautiful words. I had forgotten. Thanks for bringing them to my memory again. We love you!

Mary Ann said...

Liz,

AMEN!!!!

Love,
Mary Ann

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

Just wanted to let you know I do enjoy reading your blogs! ( And last time I was home, and I drove by your house, I felt like it was a famous house..b/c of the blog) He He