Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Recent Sewing Projects and What I Like to Remember about October


This is the dress I made for Ellie. It's a delicate corduroy with a cotton print for the lower band. The brown stripe is velvet ribbon. Hindsight, I wouldn't have used such a thick ribbon. I had to handsew it on.

This is the Christmas apron, which is a different pattern from the first apron I made. (see last post). Hard to see the cute fabric. It has squares of block printed Christmas images. Really cute. The contrasting fabric is a red and green kind of check, with gilded thread woven in it.

Another view.

So, those are the next things I've sewn. There are flaws, and I tend toward being really bothered by things like that(errors), but I don't think I obsess anymore. I'll just work on it. The errors are seams and stitches that aren't exactly right. The dress of Ellie's -the buttonholes aren't great, obviously, since I have no experience with buttonholes. I have a friend whom I plan to ask for buttonhole tutoring. She is a great seamstress.


What I Like to Remember about October
Well, obviously, there are lots of things I like to remember. As a child I can remember most of my Halloween costumes and most of my Trick or Treating experiences. I was in a Halloween Parade , in the 3rd grade, along with all the other elementary school aged children. (Did I say that right?)


Let me start with what I think is the first Halloween I can remember. Mother and Daddy were in Troy, Alabama because my granddaddy had died. He died on November 1, 1956, so they must have gone over to Troy, knowing that he was near death. I knew they were there because of his being sick, and I know that while they were there he died. I have a vague recollection of hearing that information. I had turned 5 on July 14, 1956. I went Trick or Treating with my cousins and of course Mary Ann. I bet she has a better memory of this event.
I have no idea about my costume.
I remember 2 things about this.
We were walking back from Trick or Treating (and the street and house are described in my post titled The Northcutts.) My uncle Waynard jumped out from behind some bushes to scare all of us. At that time I was 5, so Mary Ann was 7 - Rusty, 7, Rachel, 3, Suzanne, 11. I have a vague memory of an adult being with us - probably Florence, because she would have had to have been with Rachel. Waynard's attempt to "BOO" us must not have been too scary. I can still see him smiling - but don't remember feeling very scared, just a little surprised to see Waynard come out from behind a bush. :-) So funny.

The next thing I remember is wanting to eat more of my Trick or Treat Candy than I needed to eat. I have a memory of Ella being more firm than I was accustomed to - she wasn't usually in that role with me. But there was a lot of compassion coming from her, which gave me some leverage. Mary Ann was siding with Ella and both of them were agreeing that Mother wouldn't want me to eat anymore candy. I was eating a purple(grape) sucker(I see the color) and enjoying it....and going in for my next "bite" of the "spoils". That's when Ella, backed by Mary Ann, stepped in. I have no recollection of Elbert in any of these scenes. I'm guessing he was chilling out - TV? Book? Magazine? Cigar? Just thinking? It was 1956.

I conceded. They were right. I know that the next thing was that we had to go to bed. That's all I remember. I'm visual, therefore, when I remember this, I'm seeing the scene - as if I'm on the outside watching it happen. Is that the way everyone remembers something?.......through their mind's eye?? I wasn't unhappy. I was very safe and very secure.

That is my 5 year old Halloween experience.

October 31, 1956

Question: Are these grapes?

Answer: Nandina Berries. Aren't they so pretty?









2 comments:

LB said...

Ada wants a jumper!! I think it's so cute!!

Stephanie said...

I love your sewing projects and pictures of pumpkins!! Happy Fall!! Love, Steph