Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Am Looking Forward to

Reading This Book!
It came in the mail today.

I'm already reading it and underlining
but in very light pencil and very neatly.



Some of the chapter titles.
I like words.
I like these words.



And I like the way Tim Keller puts words together to explain things.




"Into this seemingly inexhaustible current of words and thought about Jesus,
I gingerly lay this volume.  
It is an extended meditation on the historical Christian premise
that Jesus's life, death, and resurrection form the central event of cosmic and human history as well as the central organizing principle of our own lives.
Said another way,
the whole story of the world - and of how we fit into it -
is most clearly understood through a careful, direct look at the story of Jesus.

My purpose here is to try to show, through his words and actions,
how beautifully his life makes sense of ours."  Tim Keller



"I trust that you will find the figure of Jesus worthy of your attention;
unpredictable yet reliable,
gentle yet powerful,
authoritative yet humble,
human yet divine.
I urge you to seriously consider the significance of his life in your own." Tim Keller



"And if it's true that this world has been created by this triune God, then ultimate reality is a dance."
Tim Keller

" 'What does it matter?' Lewis writes. 'It matters more than anything else in the world.  The whole dance, or drama, or pattern of this three-Personal life is to be played out in each one of us . . . 
[Joy, power, peace, eternal life] are a great fountain of energy and beauty spurting up at the very centre of reality.' " Tim Keller quoting C. S. Lewis

Does it make you want to read it?

I really think I'm going to like it a lot and it's predominantly from the Gospel of Mark and already it has me pulled in.

Oh, and by the way

psst! you can click on the purple/red writing if you want to see what I said.

Today is March 1st!  February did go by so quickly.  It was both delightful and hard all at the same time.  Some very hard places in February, but also some good places too.  
Lots of Valentines and Birthdays.

Mary and I walked today from my house, through The Meadows subdivision, and down to County Park and around the trail and back.
Loved it. 

2 comments:

rhodes1 said...

I came home and ordered mine! I was already excited, but now I am even more.

Anonymous said...

lizabeth, enjoying your blog when i remember it. thought of you when i attended something at Beason this wk. Speaker was www.ericmetaxas. He has written a book on Bonhoeffer. It was so good, thought you might pull it up and get educated re:eric. I had never heard of him before. Gt sense of humor, i may organize for him. just thought i would pass it along to you. come see me anytime.
martha