Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bible Study Fellowship

Is what I attend on Wednesday mornings.
Anyone familiar with it?
I did that many years ago, hmmmm, I'd say in 88 and 89.  I did it for two years, but threw in the towel - having 2 small ones to get ready to carry with me,
plus the stress of getting Ann and Laura Beth off to school, K and 1st grade,
and myself ready and be in Huntsville by 9:00.  Plus all the homework of the bible study questions to get done during the week.
Sarah loved it.  She was two when I went with several ladies from my church.  Kate was a baby baby.  Baby.  After I quit because of the stress of it all, Sarah continued to ask me when we were going back.  They have a tremendous program for children.  Great bible teaching for children. I had so much guilt when I'd explain to her again and again that we wouldn't be going back.  She wanted to go so badly.

Now I'm 59 and when a friend approached me last spring about going over in the fall of 2010 to Huntsville to BSF and that they would be going through Isaiah - at first I got a nervous twitch just thinking about it - I was remembering the stress those years ago - but then I remembered - "Oh yeah, I can do that now.  I have no children to take with me.  It'll just be Elizabeth, mature woman, senior citizen almost, no small children.  And, it's Isaiah.  And, it'll be great fellowship with 2 dear ladies from my church - to Huntsville and back - great conversation. "  I was in.  I was all about it.  AND it's been a great experience.  No better way to get to know someone than traveling with them back and forth and having car conversation - good way to visit.  Or over coffee - or working on a project together.  That's a good way, also.

Plus, we've studied Isaiah. We're almost through Isaiah.  We'll finish in May.  I don't plan to do it next year - not because I don't like it - I just feel like I need to give that day back to this life here in Scottsboro.

But

Isaiah and we're almost through it.

Today was Isaiah 52:13 - 53: 12
We'd already studied those verses and answered those questions and then today we had the lecture on that particular portion of scripture.    We always sing hymns and the hymns are carefully selected to go with the scripture.

Are you familiar with those verses?  Without looking them up?
I'll post them here.

See, my servant will act wisely;
he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.
Just as there were many who were appalled at him -
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man
and his form marred beyond human likeness
so will he sprinkle many nations,
and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
That is enough to try to absorb, isn't it?
His appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man.
His form marred beyond human likeness.

Those two realities.

His appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man.

His form marred beyond human likeness.

(for me, He did it for me... for the whole human race)

next verse.

so will he sprinkle many nations,
and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
For what they were not told, they will see,
and what they have not heard, they will understand.

I'm a Gentile.  I fall under that heading, many nations - He wasn't only for His chosen race - I'm so grateful, but I want to be more grateful.  There are other nations - other people - who haven't heard yet - He's for them too.  To sprinkle many nations with His righteous blood.

Kings will shut their mouths because of Him.

But then there's chapter 53.

Next post.

No comments: