Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sharing Some Color



















Just this summer, these same crepe myrtles had those bright pink blooms all over them - now they are dressed in these brilliant orange and yellow leaves. If we love color and beautiful images it's because we're made in God's image - He is the creator of everything beautiful, isn't He?
I can see the leaves holding on by a thread throughout Scottsboro - the colors are lush - yet we will soon go into the dark grays and browns which are a bit hard to appreciate during the very cold days - but they do have their own beauty, also.
Thanksgiving is in a couple of weeks! And then Christmas. How did we get to the end of 2009 so quickly?
It's Saturday and I am working on a project for my cousin, who is a "small event caterer" in Evergreen. I get absorbed in these kinds of things and tend to never come up for air until the project is finished. It involves my long ago earned graphic design degree and I am an amateur at it - but it's fun - and the computer makes it possible for me to do a few things like this at home. I love it.
Just wanted to put a new post up, keeping my blog up to date.
Charlie and I took Ellie, Luke, and Andrew to Triple R last night while Ann and Steve went with friends to see another friend in a play at Northeast College. All 3 of the children were sleepy, so our outing had a few gliches - but even with that, they were so cute. On the way home, with Ellie crying really loud over something she didn't get her way about, and Andrew crying really loud just because he's 9 months and needed to be in bed, and with Luke in the way back of the car enjoying something he did get his way about - well - I was reaching back, rubbing Ellie's leg and just started singing "Hush Little Baby Don't Say a Word" - amazing how that song gets the attention of small little children. I've used that song 2 other times on a screaming Andrew and he stops crying to listen. I wonder who thought of that song? hmmmm. Something I need to google. Anyway - I sang it over and over and it's what broke the crying spell and even ended in a discussion with Luke and Ellie about Billy Goats, Looking Glasses, Diamond Rings, Mocking Birds, and I always forget what Mama will get little baby if the Billy Goat won't pull - After that the evening went great and all went to bed very easily - they were sooooo sleepy.
And here we are on Saturday morning, I've now posted, and I will get back to my project.
(found the lyrics)
Hush, Little Baby is a traditional lullaby. It is thought to be American (mockingbirds are from the American continent), but the author and date of origin are unknown. The lyrics promise all kinds of rewards to the child if he or she is quiet.
The structure is simple enough for parents to ad-lib further verses as required.

Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird.
And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring.
And if that diamond ring turns to brass,
Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass.
And if that looking glass gets broke,
Papa's gonna buy you a billy goat.
And if that billy goat won't pull,
Papa's gonna buy you a cart and bull.
And if that cart and bull turn over,
Papa's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.
And if that dog named Rover won't bark.
Papa's gonna buy you a horse and cart.
And if that horse and cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town.

No comments: