Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Rain

Outside - there's rain -

Yesterday morning I installed some software which came with my camera - now my computer sends me a message if I try to open up Microsoft Word - It says I don't have enough memory or disc space to open up word. As Ada would say, "Awww Mam". (except I think she is now saying aw man, instead)

Ada calls Kate, "Kake" or "Cake". She refers to anything having to do with birthdays as "Happy Cake".

I have every intention of redoing the look of my blog - but I don't know how and Kate and Laura Beth seem to be the ones who know that stuff. I just forget to get them to help me.

I am riding to H'ville with Ann today.

Sleep doesn't happen naturally for me anymore. It's broken all during the night. I'm not worrying during the night - I just don't sleep much. Which is fine to me - I've never been big on spending too much time snoozing - Last night I just got up - sometimes I do that when I can tell that no matter how still I lay, no matter how much I work to keep my mind clear of thoughts, I still will not fall asleep. I can sometimes detect a hint of drowsiness that I can tap into and eventually will fall asleep. Last night I got up. Sometimes I take care of tasks - other times I read God's word. Last night I was very hungry for His word. Very hungry to be met by Him and the power of His word. It's a true thing - that reading the very word of God is penetrating - it's the absolute truth that really does pierce into the heart. It's God speaking. It's powerful and real and is the only truth about anything having to do with reality.

I was just going to continue reading in the Old Testatment - I'm back in Genesis again and it increases my faith to read in the Old Testament - all the incredible ways God led those men and women and children and how He communicated Himself to them - and all their weaknesses and God's grace and power. It's all such a story. A great narrative that is true. I like stories that are true and it is the truest of all. But I was distracted by many devotion books on my bookshelf and pulled a few out, saying to myself - don't get led away by words of men - it's God's word you need tonight. I agreed I'd read those quickly and get to God's word. One book was from Mother's collection - It is by Richard C. Halverson who was Chaplain for the United States Senate - I suppose during Reagan's Administration - the dates are the early 80's. His devotion led me into Philippians and I read all of Philippians - Paul - who was in chains and writing to those believers in Philippi and saying that it would be better for him to depart and be with Christ, but yet it would be better for them if he remained in the body for their progress and joy in the faith - He said his prayer was that their love would abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that they would be able to discern what is best, being pure and blameless until the day of Christ. He also said in verse 27 - "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ". Penetrating Truth.

R Halverson's book - Mother had scribbled notes and dates - her familiar handwriting - in pencil - little notes - little dates - Mother.

Then I read in The Andrew Murray Daily Reader - just skimmed through some of those - good stuff.

Then on to a daily devotional by Martin Luther - Faith Alone. I think one of the girls left it here. It's good. So old and has been edited and translated to be understood in 21st century English.

Then to my book, The Gospel According to Job by Mike Mason - recommended by my cousin John, who died at the age of 51, suddenly, unexpectedly, a snatching from our family. He was here, healthy and then he wasn't here. Because of Christ in him, his life, living, impacted a lot of people - including me - and his death impacted a lot of people, including me - so I read some more in that book - I always have to restart it and have never actually finished it - it's has so much depth to it and it puts the reader well into the life of Job and his walk with God.

Then to Genesis - where I spent most of my time reading - and I'm in the part where Moses left Egypt because he killed that man - and then the calling of Moses and all of Moses' self doubts - there's so much there - and all that God said to Moses about all of that -

So - by then I was sufficiently sleepy - and was in awe of God's love for me - because of the reality of His dealing with men - and how He sets His love on us - I am amazed and encouraged and inspired by all of these lovers of God who have lived in this flesh and are now in heaven - Paul, Martin Luther, Mother(with her scribbled notes), Andrew Murray, Moses, Aaron(brother of Moses), Job, those Philippian believers, John(my cousin), and Daddy because I think of him too and have reminders of him all around me - I know these hearts and their desire was obedience - but then there's the flesh we all strive with - but it is God who loved us first - it is God who completes the work in us that He has begun.

In all my prayers for all of you I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (phil. 1:4)

and

Therefore, my friends, as you have always obeyed - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose. (phil. 2:12,13)

No comments: