Saturday, April 24, 2010

Recipes

Okay - I've got something to post.

Both of these are absolutely delicious - at least, I think so. 

Two Recipes - tomorrow's lunch.

First.

PAT NIXON'S HOT CHICKEN SALAD
This is basically a super duper chicken casserole.
I've had this since 1974.  My note in my recipe file says:  "Deb Davidson & Jan Tilghman served this to Debbie Benedict & me for supper.  summer 1974.  Few weeks before we graduated from Auburn University."

Combine these ingredients:
4 cups cold, cut up, cooked chicken
2 cups chopped celery
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
Small to Medium Jar of diced pimentos
(or can chop a red pepper - half of one)
2 Tblsp. lemon juice
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 tsp. salt
2 Tblsp. finely chopped onion

Place combined Ingredients in a large casserole dish.  Cover with foil or plastic wrap.  Let stand overnight in refrigerator.

Before baking, top with 2/3 cup finely chopped almods, toasted; 1 cup sharp grated cheese; 1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips.

Bake in 400 degree oven for 25 to 30 to 40 minutes.  Until  heated through.  Serves 8. 
(Bring to room temperature before baking.)

Second

PEANUT BUTTER PIE
(given to me by Sue Paulk who is a friend of mine, and...I worked for her in her frame shop for 3 years.  Today she became a grandmother.  Today is Ellie's birthday - so April 24th is the day both Sue and I became grandmothers for the first time.  2005 and 2010.)

Make a Graham Cracker Crust/according to directions on box.
(I don't like the premade purchased kind)

Filling:  Whip 1 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside, probably in refrig.
Mix 1 cup of confectioner sugar and 1 cup of all natural peanut butter and 8 oz. cream cheese, softened ahead of time. Fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture.  Pour into cooled crust.  Chill in refrigerator until firm.

No comments: