Saturday, September 6, 2008

Mother's Birthday


This is supposed to be a quick post. I hope it will be. I can't trust myself.

But....today is September 6 which is the day mother was born, in 1919. I've written that before, but I happen to have a picture of her and Mary Ann and myself, taken on her birthday in 2005. It would be her last birthday on this earth - not to imply that birthdays are celebrated in heaven - because, well, I won't get into that.
I'm grateful that it all happened the way it did - Mary Ann and I thought Mother was beyond traveling to Scottsboro - It's a six hour drive and the previous trips had really seemed too hard on her. We just didn't think she could do it anymore. She was so feeble and there wasthe issue of using a restroom. Most are not suited for older women on walkers - she had to have something that was raised. Plus, Mary Ann having to physically get her in and out of places was too difficult. Well, it was 2005 and Hurricane Katrina was headed for the Gulf Coast. We all know that tragic ending. But we didn't know it yet. Ivan had already taken its toll and did so much damage inland, Evergreen being one of the hardest hit areas which were inland. They were without power many days - roads were closed - etc. So, assuming Katrina would be as bad, family members began moving north and suggested that Mary Ann and Mom do the same. So, they rode with family as far as B'ham, and Charlie and I met them there. Mary Ann and I were so nervous for Mom - but she did great! We couldn't believe it. I had been working at the frame shop only one year. With Mom in town I was able to carefully take her down there and show her around. Moms love seeing what their babies are doing - even if the baby is 54. And of course the baby always wants to boast to the mother - "Look at me! Look what I can do!". Even if the baby is 54. So, that unexpected trip/visit happened on her birthday. They probably travelled on the 5th, but she was here in Scottsboro on the 6th. The following are pictures we took and I bought a tiny cake at Wal-Mart. Also below are pictures of Mother holding Ellie - the only great grandchild she was able to see. The pictures of her and Ellie were not taken during the hurricane trip. I think Ellie was 3 months in the picture - so it was in July before the hurricane. On April 3 of 2006, 2 days before she died, I called to tell her Ann's baby was a boy. She knew that much and was so amazed that any of us would have a boy. She wasn't here to know that her 3rd grandbaby would have red hair like hers and that she would be named Ada after Mother's own grandmother. Well - she's in heaven which is infinitely beyond any grand thing here on earth.



No comments: