Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Random Post

My birthday was Monday. I posted that info already.
On Wednesday Mary, my closest friend in Scottsboro, took me to eat in Huntsville. We've been doing that longer than I can remember. Actually that's not true. I can remember when I didn't know Mary - but we've been taking each other to lunch, celebrating one another's birthday, for such a long time that I don't even remember how it got started. Today we took pictures. We should have been doing it all these years. The one other time I suggested we take pictures, was the day I found out Ann was expecting Ellie. That was over 3 years ago. Almost 4 years. I can't post those right now. Wish I could. I need a scanner. So, here are today's pictures. Also, pictures from Monday when Ellie and Ann came over with a gift and candles for my already cut cake.
Elizabeth and Mary at the restaurant in Huntsville
We both look sleepy. What's that about?

Ellie is actually singing, along with Ann and Kate, Happy Birthday to Near.

Ellie is looking at Kate while she sings.

Ann, Kate, and I all had the "just got out of bed" look, so we avoided the camera.

Here is Ellie blowing out the candles on Near's Cake

Lemon Cheese Cake

Recipe belonging to Edith Wilkerson

found in the Sparta Cookbook or Favorite Recipes of Conecuh County

Cream 1 cup shortening and 2 cups sugar. Add 6 egg whites, one at a time and beat for one full minute after each. Add alternately, 1 cup milk, 3 1/2 cups flour which has been sifted with 2 tsp. baking powder.

Stir in 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Makes 2 layers.

Lemon filling:

8 slightly beaten egg yolks, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 4 Tblsp. butter,

1 tsp. grated lemon peel, 1/3 cup lemon juice

Blend egg yolks with the sugar, lemon peel, juice and butter. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until very thick. Cool thoroughly. When cake has cooled, spread filling between layers.

Fluffy Frosting:

2 egg whites, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, 2 tsp. light corn syrup, 1/3 cup water

In top of double boiler, combine the egg whites with sugar, corn syrup; beat well with rotary or electric beater. Place over, but not touching boiling water. Cook about 7 minutes beating constantly until stiff peaks form. Remove from heat; add vanilla and beat 2 minutes more. Frost cake.

This blog is about things I like to remember and my favorite things.

Mother was always a very good cook. She was also a very good seamstress. She took home economics from Mrs. McInnis of Evergreen High School. I guess she graduated from High School in 1937. I did the math. If anyone read my earlier posts, one can remember that I said Mom was a stickler for neatness, order, disciplined care of the homes. Making a bed the right way is something she taught me and I've written about it in that earlier post. I love the fine art of a well made bed. Call me crazy, but I'm glad to admit it. Mother really really enjoyed Mrs. McInnis. When I graduated from high school in 1969, I had the same Mrs. McInnis for Home and Family. Home Economics was still offered, but our culture was already beginning to change. I didn't think I "needed" Home Economics. Big Mistake! In Home and Family we just "talked" about how we would raise a family and live on a budget. It was a fun class and quite the opportunity for "visiting with friends". During my college years, between semesters, I took some sewing lessons, but I've never been able to sew like my Mom. Shopping for clothes, for Mary Ann and me, meant going to a fabric store. It took me a long time, as a single adult female, to learn how to shop for ready made clothes. I still am not very good at it. And Mom's not here to sew for me. My grandmother could sew and my great grandmother, Ada, could sew. I guess every female learned that. Well, my grandmother in Troy wasn't a seamstress or a cook. Probably someone made her clothes for her or she bought them at Rosenberg's in Troy, Alabama - and I remember her cook and maid, Willie. I loved Willie. More about that later.

Back to Mom and Mrs. McInnis. One of her school assignments was to prepare a meal at home, with a properly set table. The student had her night to do that in her home, and Mrs. McInnis would come in and grade her. She came into the female student's home and "checked it all out". I don't know if everyone did that, or if it was for extra credit. Mom did it. I do remember her telling me about it. She loved it. I would have been so nervous.

A properly set table. It's like a well made bed. Not that I do either of those all of the time. But I really, really like both of those disciplines. They each are a pleasure mark in our crazy world.

So, the above recipe:

Mom did some cooking for people, for pay. One of her specialties was the Lemon Cheese Cake. There is absolutely no cheese in it. I have never known why it was called that.

Mother made this particular cake for so many people. It has her signature on it, but I am sure she must have gotten it out of a recipe book or a magazine.

So, there we are. End of Post. I've run out of things to talk about.

I like to remember all my birthday meals with Mary, I like to remember Mom and her cooking, I like to remember Mom's stories about her life, and I like to remember my high school days as well......well, most of them.

Thank you, Kate, for making that cake for me.

Thank you, Mary, for the birthday meal.

and Thank you, God, for all the dear people You've blessed me with.

1 comment:

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

Hey Mrs. Elizabeth,

I LOVE reading your blog..it is very interesting and gives a great historical perspective. I have always been enthralled by your big family and the dynamics of how you love them all and made it work through high school! Visited Ann's house..she will have to tell you the gruesome details! LOL..I love it!!! So happy that you have them home with you! I have a question..do I remember one of your parents coming to Scottsboro to live??? Or maybe Charlie's??? For some reason it seems like in the last stages of somebodys life..they were there..but I haven't seen that mentioned...I don't know..maybe I am crazy! Well, keep writing..and we will keep reading! We are in Enterprise now,, have been for 2 years..so your Troy posts are very interesting to me!!!