Sunday, July 27, 2008

God Thought of the Kidney and He Made It.


All of this, in this image, has been occupying my mind for one week now.
I've been in the hospital this week! I'm never sick! I've been hospitalized four times, for four babies. Well, in the second grade I had an impacted tooth extraction and was in the hospital for that. That was in 1958. Today that would be done in a dental chair.
So, last Sunday at 1:00 a.m. I woke with incredible chills, uncontrollable shaking! It's what woke me. Fever. Body Aches, all day and night, Sunday. To the doctor on Monday. Kidney Infection. Antibiotics. Not much better on Tuesday. He hospitalized me. I was in the hospital 2 nights. Came home, but the antibiotics were causing migraine level headaches. Along with that comes nausea. All of that had been happening in the hospital and gradually getting worse. So, on Friday, Dr. Bradford needed to see me again. We both agreed the antibiotics were causing the headaches and the headaches were causing the nausea. He said try one more dose, if that didn't work, get off the meds and I would see him on Tuesday of next week.
Today is Sunday. I am one day free of Antibiotics, but my lower back is hurting again. Yesterday, the only thing that totally stopped the headache was Excedrin Migrain. That knocked it out. Yay. But today, the lower back ache. I'm considering this afternoon at 3:00 (when I can take the Excedrin Migrain again) to also take the antibiotic again. It's Levoquin. Anybody reading this have any suggestions? I don't do "sick" very well. I have been so blessed with good health. I don't enjoy taking any pills of any sort - this is all new territory for me.
I did have a good night's sleep last night, finally - except for getting up to go to the bathroom. I am drinking tons of water - I'm scared not to.
So, in this blog of my favorite things, and things I like to remember - well - this doesn't fit. This is definitely not something I'll enjoy remembering - and certainly not one of my favorite things.
What a depressing post!!!!
On a more positve note - it's incredible how nice doctors and nurses can be. They have been to me - and people are so kind - my sweet neighbor brought me homemade ice cream - my friends, Mary, Sue and Donna visited me, at separate times, in the hospital - A kind male teenager in our church visited me twice in one day in the hospital - because he works down in X-rays. That was especially kind - what teenage young man does that? He's planning to be a radiologist. He'll be a good one!! My family has definitely stepped up to the plate. Even Ellie and Luke - such precious hearts - Luke really doesn't get it that I've been sick. He would just get so excited when he would get to see me - even though I looked the worst ever. But Ellie had a much concerned look on her face and wanted to hand me crackers when that was all I could eat. Little Ada is over in McDonough still working on her baby steps and showing off her new teeth.

3 comments:

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

Your readers, well def. me was concerned..I thought you had quit blogging and I was sad! :(...had no clue you were in the hospital..but I do pray for healing of your body right now..kidney infections can be NO fun..and when meds make you sick..it really isn't good..hope it all gets better..FAST!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for your comment, Brook! I saw your mom as I stood in line to get my blood work. I was so sick and told her I had a bug. Some bug! That whole office is so kind and thoughtful!

Unknown said...

Hey!! I am sooo sorry to hear you have been sick! How awful! I have had antibiotics make me sick before. I will pray that you will begin to get better!! Please know that we love you and are praying for you! Love, Steph & Erik