Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thursday Night

My Blog is about remembering people and things in my past or present, and my favorite things. Those are all the same to me.



It's the end of the day, and it has been a full day. But I want to post this favorite "quote" by my Grandfather, John Halbert Wilkerson. It was included in a letter to my parents in June of 1951, a few weeks before I was born. He was writing them a letter, before the days of computers and cell phones and land phones with low cost long distant plans. Long Distant Phone calls were rationed out. They were not frequent. After updating Mother and Daddy on his and Grandmother's daily life in Troy, Alabama, and wishing them well regarding the upcoming birth of their second baby he closed the letter with the following:



Think how bad it would be

If day was everlasting

and there were no night,

No rising sun, no morning dew,

No morning glories,

No smell of bacon and coffee,

No new day with its chance and opportunity

Of starting all over again.


John Halbert Wilkerson

June 22, 1951

Good Night.


No comments: