Friday, June 27, 2008

Party at the Rhodes'

Today is Friday. Charlie took yesterday and today off from work to do things around the house and yard. I love it. He is the District Attorney of Jackson County, so what he "deals with" has a negative feel to it - Crime - so he needed two days away - tacked onto the weekend.

We're having a little "party" tonight. Steve (our pastor, son-in-law) is having his Dad and Brother-in-law, niece and nephew visit him and Ann and the children tonight. So... we're all eating at our house tonight. Ann and Steve's treat, but we're providing the location. For more on Steve's dad, see my website list, Hoffmantown Church. Wayne is described as a gentle giant. He's a dear, down to earth, loving man gifted by God to teach the gospel. So is Steve's brother-in-law, Eric. He'll be here tonight. Also coming are Mike and Mary Bratton, our closest friends here in Scottsboro. We go way back, with a lot of history. Hollen and Jonathan are with their Dad, Eric, and will be here also - cousins to Ellie and Luke. So - Charlie and I have been cleaning inside and out. I basically shoo'ed off Ann and the children so I could get the house picked up, first, and then cleaned. YAY. I love a clean house. It's really not clean all over, just the main living and eating area.

Menu for tonight: Steak on the grill, Sauteed Mushrooms, Smashed, buttered baked potatoes, Salad, Rolls, Tea and the decadent dessert from my last post, Turtle Trifle.

The last and only time Wayne ate at our house was in December 1999. Ann was a freshman at Auburn. Steve had just come to Scottsboro as our youth pastor at Calvary Baptist. Ann hardly knew Steve. I was just having them over because I knew Wayne was in town and I wanted them to have a good meal. We invited Mike and Mary then. We were all new to Steve and Wayne. It was a great night. Ann was home for Christmas, but wasn't at the house for the meal. She did come in and she visited a little. There was no Ann and Steve at that time. They didn't connect until about a year later. So, here we are, 9 years later, 2 babies later, with one on the way. Same people, but we know each other a WHOLE LOT better.

That's us on this day.

Diary Entry(see last post):
Tuesday, June 26, 1962: Dear Diary, Marilyn Mason came to play with me today.
Wednesday, June 27, 1962: Dear Diary, I went swimming today.

1 comment:

rhodes1 said...

I have to say I'm very jealous that I'm missing out on that meal. I've been craving one of Daddy's steaks lately.