Thursday, January 8, 2009

THEREFORE....

In my last post I ended with "therefore....." and wrote that I would finish that sentence in my next post.

My "therefore" followed what I had just said,
that because of the whole, endless depth, truth of the gospel, that I could expect grace and peace in abundance in 2009 (and all the days of my life); in anything that comes my way.

Therefore -

What I wanted to share with anyone - but I think it's too long - so I was trying to give myself time to condense it - but I can't really condense it - is something I heard on a cd by Tim Keller. I have a series and he is teaching all of 1 Peter. It is so clear and so well spoken that I did the thing where I play, rewind, play, rewind - until I have it word for word on paper.

1 Peter 1: 13 - 14
13. Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.
( that verse alone is so rich and he taught this whole thing about all of that, which is so well done, but that's not what I'm getting to)
14. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.
15. But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."
So, this post is going to be what he taught on verse 14.
but it's too long to do the whole thing,
in one post.
I'll type part of it and perhaps the next part in my next post.
Here goes:
14. as obedient children - do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.
"The word conform is the word that means to be shaped or molded and....
Evil - Epithumia from epi = in, upon and used to intensify the meaning + thumos = the mind: means to have a strong desire to do or secure something. A great desire, longing or craving for something and in context refers to a desire for something forbidden or inordinate ( exceeding reasonable limits).
Think of all our legitimate needs which God created. Emotional and Physical. Creative needs, Social needs, the desire to work and accomplish something - maternal needs, romantic needs, hunger, thirst, rest, balance,
Peter says that a Godless life is not so much a life of evil desires, that's a poor translation, it gives you the idea of people who pillage, murder, do violence, etc. - that's not what this word is talking about. You used to be molded, you used to be fashioned, you used to be controlled by good desires that had become inordinate. That's what the word means - out of order - too important to you - good things. " - Tim Keller on 1 Peter 1: 14
The question I have to ask myself, says Elizabeth; Is there something that is good and normal, but it is too important to me? Am I shaped and molded by it, or am I shaped and molded by the Holy Spirit indwelling me? Am I ready at any moment to let go of anything He asks me to let go of?

No comments: