Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Now, Where Were We...........


Well, Charlie and I are back in Scottsboro.
We drove to Auburn on Saturday - arriving there about the same time that Tropical Storm "Fay" arrived. I have a huge respect for Tornadoes and for Lightning. Tropical Storms don't scare me very much. I actually like all the rain with little electrical stuff and very little threat of twisters. This whole trip was planned a week ago. We were to paint what remained to be painted, in the house that Kate is to be living in the next year or 1-1/2 years. The owner and her daughter had done the first stage of painting - her daughter is the one whom Kate is living with - Katherine Lee - Charlie and I were completing the second stage. So that all of us can "GET ON WITH OUR LIVES". I'm grateful that Charlie insisted on going with me. I said that I'd do it without him, could save money on hotel, could stay with Kate and Katherine Lee, but he had the discernment and wisdom to know that this time he needed to go. YAY!!!!! I kept saying, "What if I'd come by myself????" Just too much for me on the 4th weekend of being in Auburn, getting daughters settled. We retreated at the least expensive hotel - The Comfort Inn - I was very pleased. It was clean and simple. I didn't feel yukky about it - which I am prone to feel about even the best hotels. It was a good retreat - and good silence at the end of the day. I just loved the quiet.
TS Fay poured herself down on all of Auburn on that Saturday. There were actually Tornado warnings out the wazoo, but they didn't scare me too much. No problem. We cleaned and painted and returned to Comfort Inn that Evening after dining with Sarah and Kate who had been to a Mandatory ADPi Chapter Retreat Friday and Saturday. We had brought "stuff" to them from home, as well - one of those being my beloved drawing table which I make absolutely NO USE of - so I was delighted to give it to Sarah who is majoring in Fine Arts - She is glad to have it in her room - she does most of her work in the studio - but it still is good to have it when one needs it. - It's in her room in her apartment.
Sunday - no church for Charlie and me - I hate that sort of thing - but we had to do it - Kate went to Covenant - we started on the walls of her kitchen. WE worked until about 5:00. Faye was quiet and the day held no rain. Must have been the eye of the storm. We ate Pizza with Sarah that night at Brick Oven - wonderful!! Back to our wonderful Comfort Inn -

Monday - Finished the kitchen - Faye was back and worse. I guess it was her "backside" - not good. Torndao sirens going off in Auburn - very loud. Torrential Rain - All classes cancelled - and we painted and painted and finished and cleaned up and put all back in place - and drove away from Auburn around 5:15. Oh, and from the rain and wind on Saturday, a huge pine tree was down in Kate and Katherine Lee's back yard. Sad. Guess that will have to be addressed. :-(


We drove from South Alabama on its East Side to North Alabama - still East - I think we caught up with Fay who had left Auburn before we did. We got in a band of rain and travelled with it most of the way. UGH! So much Rain!!!

We were beyond grateful to be at home - in our home - quiet - just us - relaxing and having "down time" - There's just nothing like that.
Now it's Monday - I woke before I opened my eyes and began my "thinking" which I guess had begun from a dream I'd had. As I was "thinking" I happened to open my eyes and that was when I remembered I was AT HOME. Wonderful!!! What a great surprise - I'd actually forgotten. I just never can remember where I am these days, when I awaken. Got up, made the coffee - and began Monday. I love it.

Ann and Steve are officially in their new home. Their moving day was Friday but continued throughout the weekend. Ellie had Mother's Day Out today and I went out to their house to retrieve Lukie. He's napping right now. There is so much undoing and organizing to be done at Ann's house, but YAY - they're in.

We've had lots of rain today - no lightning - so I am going to post pictures I took of Luke sitting in my door, watching the rain. - also of Ada who was here all of last week - I miss her and her precious voice - it's hard to communicate her little word she says which means so many things - it's pronounced , "Daa?" It is in her little female baby tone and is applicable to so many questions - "what's that?" "will you repeat that?" "who is it?" "where is it?" - etc. She is a very happy baby and very sanguine - loves faces and people.
Luke watching the rain - and an occasional "big truck" if it happens by.



Also eating a fig newton

Ada, with her red hair and holding this baby so close to her face, loving it.

This dress was Laura Beth's, and Mother made it for her. I think it was LB's 2nd Easter Dress.

Ada, Laura Beth and Edith all 3 had this red hair.

That's all for today - Tomorrow I'll go back to my things to remember, although someday I'll remember when I still had girls in college, and my first grandchildren were toddlers - I am taking dinner to Ann and Steven and the children, along with returning Luke to them - need to wake him up plus make myself presentable.

1 comment:

LB said...

I love all of the pictures. The ones of Luke sitting in the doorway look so peaceful.