Monday, August 18, 2008


I left Scottsboro on Sunday August 10th for Auburn, Alabama.

I was in Auburn Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday Morning. Drove from Auburn to McDonough, GA to see my little Ada Belle. Really, just Ada, but it's hard not to call her Ada Belle. I was in McDonough on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning. Laura Beth and Ada and I drove back to Auburn, met my sister, Mary Ann, there, and we all had lunch with Sarah and Kate. Sarah and Kate had just completed a week of involvement in Sorority Recruitment. On Saturday the grand finale was Bid Day which would begin at 5:00 pm. The campus was swarming with folks moving in, and their parents helping them. Traffic was bumper to bumper. Crazy for a small Alabama town which happens to have a large University attached to it. LB, Ada and I left by 2:30 and arrived in Scottsboro around 6:30. Ada is 12 months, so that makes for an exhausting trip - for all involved - babies and adults.


Sunday morning was wonderful, waking up at home. Ellie spent the night with me - very unusual for her - never wants to do that - but her territory was threatened with Ada sleeping at my house - She didn't verbalize that, but we all interpreted her behavior to mean that. Luke was fine to go home and sleep in his own bed.

What I am working up to is that we had our second Sunday in our new rented permanent location for Riverside Community Church. Our first Sunday was August 10, and that is when I took so many pictures. This Sunday, August 17, I had nursery duty so I had to miss Steve's teaching. Sad. But, the good part is that the nursery is so pleasant and cheery - and there is fellowship to be had with the cute little bits, plus the other workers. I just hate missing how Steve teaches. I love how he teaches scripture.

It's so fun to have our own building and the new church - it is all so delightful to me. I love the fellowship now that we have a sense of belonging in a place - a physical home - I will now post pictures. I have a lot - but was running into some problems getting all of them in my folder - so I'll post what I have. And will try later with the rest.

This is Luke, cooperating with me, to get a perspective of the background, with the sign and Broad Street in front of the church.

Alice Gross came upon Luke and me and I asked her to sit near the sign with Luke. She is a dear lady and is wonderful with children. She put together a team of folks who happily, with merry hearts, helped Ann and Steve prepare their new home for moving. So many came to clean the rooms and cabinets and bathrooms.

Luke, still working with me, with the aid of his blanket.

Ellie arrived with her mom. I had been to their house and brought Luke with me because he was ready to go. So, the two of them on the front sidewalk. This is the side of the building. It must have been an addition to that front part, in much much earlier years. This is also the side parking lot. All of this leads to the back door, which is really a better way to go in. The back door leads into the fellowship area.
My final picture until I download more. These folks are going into the worship area, from the fellowship hall. That is Ann Barber facing the camera. Won't try to identify the others. We were all pretty excited about our first day in the new building.

I think I had better close and get some spaghetti ready for dinner. Not my usual blog, but I plan to edit and add - or just post another tomorrow - if I get the chance. I have so many more pictures of the new church. These are busy days - getting Sarah and Kate settled at Auburn (I have to go down there again this weekend) and helping Ann and Steve with babysitting and meals, as they move, bit by bit, into their new home. I think we are all ready to settle into a normal lifestyle, whatever that is. Perhaps there is no normal lifestyle - For me, normal feels like daily and steady and even - not roller coaster. I think there are those who thrive on roller coaster lifestyle, which is fine - God wired us all differently - many varieties. I'm just looking for my slow spot. If I never find it, well, that's okay, too. Heaven will be perfect.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

these are GREAT pictures! Luke is sooo funny...and Ellie so cute...and Ann looked SOOO gorgeous in that picture! the building is really nice and i am so excited for you guys! :)
Hollen