Friday, September 16, 2011

Fall Meal with Recipes

Since I haven't posted in so very long -

and still can think of nothing -

Today I have been cooking for family and for someone who's had surgery - to take a meal - and naturally I select some of my favorite recipes if I'm taking to someone -

Pictures with Recipes:

In this picture I'm cooking apples in apple cider, all from Crow Mtn.
It's that time of year.
Apples from Crow Mtn. - and their apple cider.

Also - I'm perking coffee on top of the stove.
It's its own kind of flavor.
Authentic.





Brunswick Stew
(Recipe below)


Cookies.  Easy.
Delish!
Cake Mix Recipe, compliments of Kate,
with her two blogs here and here.
Recipe Below.


And Buttermilk Cornbread.
In an Iron Skillet.
Recipe from any cookbook.
Okay.  Recipes Below.


Brunswick Stew
original recipe came from this link
I made a few changes.
My adaptation to that recipe:

THE SAUCE
In a medium saucepan, over low heat, 
combine 1 3/4 cups catsup, 1/4 cup yellow mustard, 1/4 cup white vinegar.  
Blend that until smooth and add:

1/2 Tblsp. chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper, 
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/2 oz. Liquid Smoke, 1 oz Worcestershire Sauce,
1/2 oz Tabasco Sauce, 1/2 Tblsp. Lemon Juice
Blend that until smooth, then add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar.
Heat thru, stirring constantly.  Don't boil.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups of sauce.  
(set aside - to be added later)

THE STEW
In a 2 gallon pot, over low heat,
Place in the pot
1 large bag of frozen hash brown potatoes (frozen cubed potatoes)
1 large onion, diced
2 cans(14 1/2 oz each) chicken broth
1 lb. baked chicken
8-10 oz. smoked pork
(easy way to do this, purchase rotisserie chicken and use that meat, 
and for pork, purchase at local BBQ place)

Bring to a rolling boil, stirring until potatoes are near done, then add:

1 - 8 1/2 oz. can early peas
2 - 14 1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes
The prepared sauce
1 bag of frozen lima beans
1/4 cup liquid smoke
1 - 14 1/2 oz can creamed corn

Slow simmer for 2 hours.

Yields - 1 gallon

APPLESAUCE
I used the apple cider from Crow Mtn.  And I sliced LOTS of apples - peeled and sliced - to fill up a large boiler.  Bring those apples in the apple cider to a boil.  Add about 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice - or Cinnamon.  Cook and simmer until right consistency.  When I removed these soft cooked apples I tasted and knew they needed a perk.  NOT SUGAR.  but ... a dash of salt.  yes.  Salt.  Not too much.  Not too little.  A dash.  At least 1/8 tsp.  Salt definitely brings out the flavor in ANYTHING.  
Once done with cooking I stirred in 1 tsp. vanilla flavoring.

COOKIES

Any Cake Mix (for these I used the spice cake)
1/3 cup of oil
2 eggs

Add in whatever.  1 to 1 1/2 cups of add ins.
(for these I used 1/2 cup white choc. chips, 1/2 cup toffee bits, 1/2 cups chopped walnuts)

Bake 9-10 min. at 375 degrees

That's it.  FALL MEAL.


2 comments:

LB said...

I LOVE brunswick stew. Wish I was there to eat it (though I guess it's for someone else? not the family)

atfarrar said...

Elizabeth, Hubby & I just got home from seeing "Seven Days In Utopia",
which was WONDERFUL!! The beautiful young girl in the movie reminded me so much of your daughters. She just looked like a mixture of all of them! You will have to go see:-) By the way, your meal looked wonderful - how far away from home do you deliver?!? A. Farrar